Sunday, September 2, 2007

Thing 15

Some intriguing ideas: hard to justify the continued buildup of a large "just in case" print collection, the "need to focus our efforts not on teaching research skills but on eliminating the barriers that exist between patrons and the information they need." I also liked the principle of continuing "to examine and improve services and be willing to replace them at any time with newer and better services". And lastly, ..."as more information becomes accessible, people will still need an experienced tour guide..." I loved the comment regarding Amazon's customer recommendations being open to manipulation !
Some ideas regarding customer involvement that ,as a materials selector, gave me pause: As I spend more and more of my work time communicating with my internal and external customers, I am spending less and less time on my primary job responsibilites.
I worry about the grandiose assumption that members of the public can do my job--do they have the expertise to see the big picture? Sometimes it's dificult to get branch staff to see beyond their own branch.
What does Library 2.0 mean to me? We should embrace technology that allows us to better serve our customers-we should not embrace technology for its own sake.

No comments: