Sunday, September 9, 2007

Thing 16

Where to begin ! I have looked at Wikipedia with interest, but always have that what is the source/authority caution in my head. I like control. However, I can see that Wikis would be great for team projects, where membership is controlled, and you would like the information separated from your regular email. I also liked the pathfinder wikis. I looked at SJCPL Subject Guides under Antiques & Collectibles. It included definitions, links, new books and magazines, area shows and much more. This is a great way for library systems to showcase and gather information on one topic in one place.The Librarian Instruction wiki by Sam Wallin is a good "refresher" for our 23 Things. Book Lovers wiki is fun to look at for suggestions-and you know that the reviews are just someone's opinion. I spent some time reading Library Success: A Best Practices wiki. This type of wiki is good for those of us who don't want to re-invent the wheel. I looked under Materials Selection and Collection Maintenance, then "weeding" Also, sharing conference information would be very helpful, especially for out-of-towners, and sharing program ideas and resources with other librarians who do programs for the public would be a really good use of a wiki.

No comments: